Friday 14 August 2015

Tsoureki - Greek-style Brioche

Tomorrow is a very special day in the Christian calendar as it the nameday for the Virgin Mary. Given that my mum is called Maria, it just so happens to be her nameday! So, I guess I had to make her one of her favourite things in the world which is usually only made for Easter – this Greek-style brioche, which we call tsoureki.



Seriously, this sweet bread is deathly good. You don’t even have to eat it to feel sinful. Walking into the house and smelling it bake evokes indulgent ideas of eating it that should be considered a crime! If you haven’t figured it out already, I guess it’s not only my mum who loves it, but moi aussi!

It definitely takes a bit of TLC to make and some patience, but when you see those detailed pull apart lines, tempting you to pull it to pieces (the only way to eat it if you ask me), it is worth every bit of time you spent making it and dreaming about it.

Mahlepi or mahleb is the crucial aromatic spice in this bread and can be found at Greek or Middle Eastern delis.

This particular recipe was inspired by a beautiful blog called My Little expat Kitchen. I have added vanilla and orange and lemon rind as well as a bit of cinnamon as I love the combination of these flavours – and they remind me of the Mediterranean. But I definitely suggest you read her post as it has beautiful step-by-step pictures which may help you if it is your first time testing this one out J
http://mylittleexpatkitchen.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/tsoureki.html


1150g strong white bread flour
84g fresh yeast (or 22g dried yeast)
250 ml fresh, whole milk, lukewarm
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
400g caster sugar
9g sea salt
2 teaspoons mahlepi
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Finely grated zest of 2 oranges and 1 lemon
5 medium-sized eggs, at room temperature
230g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly

1 egg for glazing the tsourekia
Flaked almonds to sprinkle on top
Nutella (optional)

In a small bowl, add 200ml of the milk, 2 tbsp of the sugar, 2 tbsp of flour and stir in the dry yeast (or crumble in the fresh yeast if that is what you are using). Allow the bowl to sit in a draft free area (I place mine in a turned-off oven) and allow it to rest for half an hour in order to activate the yeast. You will know the yeast has activated if there are bubbles on the surface. 

In the meantime, in the bowl of your stand mixer with a dough hook attachment, add the flour, sugar, salt, mahlepi, cinnamon and rinds. Stir the ingredients with a whisk and make a well in the middle. Add the eggs, the rest of the lukewarm milk, half of the melted butter, vanilla and the yeast mixture. 

Start the machine on the lowest setting, until the ingredients come together as a dough. Add the rest of the melted butter gradually. Increase the speed setting one notch higher and  allow the mixer to knead the dough for 8 – 9 minutes. If you’re kneading by hand, you’ll need to knead the dough for approximately 15 minutes. The best way to tell if the dough is ready is if it no longer sticks to your bowl and hands and if has adopted a glossy shine. In texture, it should also be smooth and elastic. 

Cover the dough with clean kitchen towel or glad wrap and leave in a warm place to proof for around 4 hours.

Once proofed, empty the dough onto a clean working surface and knead with your hands for 1-2 minutes. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. I like to weigh my dough and ensure my portions are equally divided (but that's just because I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so you don't have to do this part). Take each piece of dough and divide it into 3 equal pieces.

Shape each of the 3 pieces into a 25cm long rope. Connect the 3 ropes on one end and plait them as you would plait hair, making sure not to braid too tight otherwise they will not have room to rise. Tuck the ends underneath and gently transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper. Repeat with the remaining dough to make another 3 tsourekia.

If you wish to fill the tsourekia with nutella, how I do it, is I take the piece of dough and roll it out first using a rolling pin to be 25cm long and 6cm wide. I then smooth over some nutella on the lower third and gently fold the dough over the nutella to envelope it inside and gently pinch the edges. I do this with the other two pieces as well, and then plait the tsoureki as above.

Allow the tsourekia to rise in a warm place for 1½ hours.

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 160 degrees fan-forced. In a small bowl, beat the egg, add a tad of milk and gently brush over the proofed tsourekia. Sprinkle with almond flakes. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, then cover with a piece of aluminium foil as they will brown quite quickly on top and bake for 15 – 20 minutes more to ensure that they cook through (there is nothing worst than a doughy tsoureki). They should have a golden-brown colour.

Allow to cool slightly on the baking trays, then move the tsourekia onto a wire rack to cool completely (or if you are like me a little bit and then rip them a part whilst they are hot and make yourself a coffee so you can be transported to heaven!).



1 comment:

  1. Dear Anthea, I was looking for an email so I could write to you but couldn't find it, so I'm writing to you here. Thank you for trying my recipe, it really means a lot that you enjoyed it and thank you for mentioning the source. However, and I really hope you understand, I don't appreciate the fact that, even though you changed the flavorings in the tsoureki, you have posted my exact recipe and, in particular, the exact method. You have posted it almost verbatim from my blog (apart from the nutella parts of course). These are my words and way of making the tsoureki, and I would be grateful if you could write it in your own words rather than using mine. Therefore, I would be grateful if you could make the necessary changes. I hope you understand and thank you in advance. You can find my email address in my About page if you wish to contact me
    Magda

    ReplyDelete