Thursday 25 June 2015

Homemade Ricotta


I have been dying to make ricotta for about 2 months now. I even bought a muslin cheesecloth 7 weeks ago with the intention to make it. But I didn’t just want to make it without using it and making it even more scrumptious than it is.

So, when I had a dream the other night of fresh pasta sheets layered with roasted pumpkin, spinach, pinenuts and dollops if fresh ricotta, I knew that the time had come for me to pull out that cheesecloth, herd the cows in and make this beautiful cheese.


I love cheese. In fact, my mum fears going to the deli because she knows how much she has to spend on cheese just to satisfy my need. I adore the scent, I relish in the taste and I love trying new flavours and textures. Everything about cheese is oh so perfect! And I don’t care who knows about this infatuation of mine. I was shopping for shoes the other day whilst on the phone with my mum who was consulting me as to which cheese to buy, when I said (rather loudly I admit) “ get heaps, get everything … I love cheese and we can never have too much!” This proclamation received me a head-to-toe appraisal from some woman who smirked to herself for what reason I don’t know but her forthright sizing up did receive a not so subtle eye-roll from me.

So trust me, when I say that this ricotta is absolutely beautiful. The taste is not like any fresh ricotta I have ever bought at a deli. It is far more buttery and creamier and much more tasty! When it was warm, I smothered it over some toasted ciabatta and drizzled honey on top and was in a state of euphoria for some precious moments. Gosh, I’m salivating just reminiscing on that experience.

Plus, it is super, super easy! Never again will I buy ricotta and I think the start of my cheese-making days have just begun! Next mission – chèvre …. mhhmmmm






8 cups (2 litres) full cream milk
1 cup full fat cream
½ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons lemon juice (about 2 lemons freshly squeezed)

In a large saucepan heat the milk, cream and salt over medium heat until a roiling boil (i.e. lots of bubbles), stirring occasionally to prevent the milk scalding the bottom of the pan. Add the lemon juice and stir constantly for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to rest for 5 – 10 minutes until more curds have firmed. If you don’t feel that enough of the milk has separated from they whey then add more lemon juice.

Line a large strainer with a cheesecloth and place this in a large mixing bowl. Pour the mixture into it and allow it to strain. Tie the edges of the cheesecloth up and tie it to the sink’s tap to strain for 30 minutes to 1 hour. It should be beautifully firm and creamy when done. If not using straight away, put it in the fridge. It will last for up to 2 days.






No comments:

Post a Comment