Saturday 11 October 2014

Mushroom and Truffle Quiche

I started this week with what felt like a thousand and one assignments due and an overwhelming sluggishness that was weighing me down. As I was on my lonesome in the bus travelling home from uni on Monday, I let my eyes rest and succumbed to my need for sleep. It wasn’t until I arrived home and went to say hi to my mum that I realised, in a matter of a bus ride my voice had turned croaky, hoarse and was close to disappearing. But in true Anthea style, I ignored my body’s evident signs of a need to rest and spent two and a half hours having a Skype group conversation for an assignment. Note to self: NEVER DO THIS AGAIN! So, to speed things up a little, my body’s payback for my lack of attention to its needs was laryngitis and absolutely no voice for three whole days. And when I mean no voice, I mean no voice. For a talkaholic and someone who loves nothing more than to express themselves and share their opinions about anything and everything this was like a death sentence. I couldn’t even whisper! On Thursday I literally cried myself to sleep, thinking to myself that I would never speak again … But luckily I still had enough energy to make the one and only cure for all cold and sicknesses – Jewish Penicillin. If you are feeling even a wee bit sick or lethargic I suggest you get up right now and make yourself this soup. Yes the doctor may have prescribed me drugs but I am truly convinced that this soup was what made me regain my voice. Here is my recipe for the most therapeutic Chicken Soup - http://lemonandoregano.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/chicken-noodle-soup.html


So, back on track … If it wasn’t for this soup helping me to regain both my energy and my voice there is no chance that this sensational tart would have come to be. This tart lasted a whole 5 minutes in my house! Yes, my family of four gobbled this up in 5 minutes. The sour cream pastry is absolutely sublime. It is flaky and buttery and cooks beautifully. None of that doughiness that sometimes happens with pastry.

And the filling, well, where do I even begin … It is perfect! There was none of that egginess that quiche or tart feelings can sometimes have and the gruyere combined with the mushrooms and the truffle is excruciatingly beautiful and addictive!

A true gem of a tart!

Pastry (adapted from Maggie Beer):

125 ml sour cream
250 grams plain flour
200 grams butter

Note: The pastry is enough to make 2 tarts of 35cm x 10cm. I made the full recipe, made one tart and froze the remaining pastry.

To make the pastry, dice the butter, then pulse with the flour in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.

Add the sour cream and continue to pulse until the dough starts to incorporate into a ball. Flatten into a disc and wrap the dough in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Divide the pastry in half. Roll each half into a rectangle until 3mm thick and place in a non-stick tart pan. Cut off any excess pastry. With the handle of a wooden spoon press the pastry into the indents of the tin.

Place in the fridge for 1 hour to chill.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Blind bake the pastry (using either pastry weights or rice/beans) for 25 minutes. Remove weights and allow to cool. In the meantime make the filling.



Filling:

8 mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 eggs, at room temperature
½ cup sour cream
¼ cup full fat cream
1/3 cup full fat milk
¾ cup grated gruyere
 ¼ teaspoon truffle paste
half a bunch of parsley, finely chopped
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a shallow frying pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and continue to sauté until they begin to caramelise. Add mushrooms and fry for 5 minutes or until mushrooms start to colour. Turn off the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Season to taste.

In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the sour cream, cream and milk and whisk until incorporated. Add the truffle paste, parsley and nutmeg.

Spread the mushroom and onion mixture over the tart base. Sprinkle the gruyere evenly over the top. Pour over the egg mixture. Place in a preheated oven at 180 degrees and allow to bake for 40 minutes or until evenly golden on top.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Carefully take the tart out of the tin. Serve warm alongside a beautiful rocket and prosciutto salad – or any salad you desire!

Enjoy!

xoxo - A



No comments:

Post a Comment