Monday 3 February 2014

Martha Stewart’s Thin and Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies



Everyone seems to love a chocolate chip cookie. But, chocolate chip cookies vary soo much. You can have a crunchy fat one, a soft-chewy one, a double chocolate or triple chocolate one or you can have a thin and crisp one; my family’s favourite.

These are my dad’s favourite, not chocolate chip cookie, not biscuit, not sweet but actual thing in the world to eat. This recipe made about 85 cookies and I can genuinely say that they were gone in 7 days. He said to me, whilst eating one ‘I don’t understand why you make anything else! These are MY favourite!’ That was day one of his profession of love for the chocolate chip cookie. Day 2 was me waking up to my dad opening up the cookie jar and saying, ‘you know I was dreaming about these … I couldn’t sleep because I was excited to dunk them in my coffee. By day 5, when the cookie supply was running low and I was about to give my grandma some to take home he yelled out from his position on the couch ‘Don’t you dare! You know their my favourite, she won’t appreciate them!’ Whoever knew you could ever be so territorial over chocolate chip cookies?! Well, each to their own …

Martha has definitely nailed this version of the chocolate chip cookie. She has an album on her website of 22 different types of chocolate chip cookies (check out her album - http://www.marthastewart.com/275099/chocolate-chip-cookie-recipes/@center/276956/cookie-recipes#343950), but instantly I was attracted to this one and it sure was the right decision. If you like a cookie to be a little crunchy but not one where you a crunching on it for ages, then the crisp nature of this cookie is perfect for you!

Ingredients:

2¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
280 grams unsalted bitter, room temperature
1¼ cups granulated sugar
¾ cup packed light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
¼ cup water
2 cups dark chocolate chips (or if you prefer milk chocolate)

Method:

Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius fan-forced or 180 degrees Celsius if conventional. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter with both sugars; beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; add the salt, ¼ cup water, vanilla and eggs. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop tablespoon size balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.

Bake until cookies are golden brown 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. And trust me, if you’re anything like my family, you’ll easily and pleasurably finish these by then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment